If you've read my previous posts you'll know that my daughter came 7 weeks early, which didn't give me time to pack my hospital bag. This meant that after she was born my husband had to rush home and bring me some things that I needed. Suffice to say he got me a whole bunch of random things and left me regretting not packing my hospital bag myself earlier.
I would recommend packing your hospital bag as you go into the 3rd trimester and have it ready somewhere where it's easy to find in an emergency.
To make your life a little easier I've created a list of all the things you may need in your hospital bag. This is for mama's having a natural delivery, for C-sections the list may differ. The things you pack will also depend on how long you stay in hospital but it's better to just pack everything than not having the things you need.
Once you have been given your maternity notes by your midwife you should keep them on you at all times. This is very important as you could go into labor unexpectedly or if something should happened to you whilst outside, it will give the paramedics and those looking after you, all the details about your pregnancy and baby.
- Cotton wool
- 5 baby vests
- 5 baby-grows/sleepsuits
- Muslin cloths
- Baby hat (& mittens if the sleepsuits don't have built in mittens)
- Coat/Cardigan depending on weather
- Maternity notes/birth plan
- 2 sets of clothes (long night dresses are easiest for straight after birth & something to go home in)
- Shampoo & body wash (for your shower after giving birth)
- Maxi/Maternity Pads
- Disposable underwear (not the best looking, but they do the job)
- Moisturiser/body oil (or whatever else you use to moisturise after a shower)
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Breast pads & Nursing bra